Being well informed is critical in the occurrence of poor weather conditions at an outdoor sporting event. Keep the following lightning safety tips in mind from the National Weather Service:
- Check the weather forecast in advance to prepare for specific conditions.
- There is no safe place outside during a lightning storm.
- Stay away from trees, water, and metal objects including bleachers, fences, poles, and machinery.
- Large buildings are best to take cover in rather than small outdoor shelters such as dugouts, sheds, or rain shelters.
- Be sure to wait at least 30 minutes after lightning to return back to field for the event.
For more information on the topic visit http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/sports.shtml